Eighth Regiment Connecticut Volunteers

Company A, Inc.

150th Anniversary Antietam
Connecticut Civil War Commemoration Committee

September 21-23, 2012
East Hartford, Connecticut

September 30, 1862
Sharpsburg, Md.
Fredericksburg, Va.

Dear Friends,

This being the 150th anniversary cycle, and the state of Connecticut dedicated to the history of our fathers, we were invited to Wickahm Park, East Hartford, to honor our heros and patriots.

It was getting dark on Friday when I arrived, and the weather was not cooperating. By the time I pulled in around dark, the rain was coming in spades. The lots were closed, and every man was from himself. I sat in the wagon until I could not bear it. I crossed the fields to the camps and found a smiling wet Sgt. Pyro. He had himself well ensconsed, tent up, wood ready, and head gear on for rain. I immediately got the will to go and set up my camp, and join the fray.

Over the coming hours, the rain contined, but the boys kept rolling in. Soon we had a complete hoard of nutty soldiers ready for any event. And we hunkered down that evening, and were blessed for the effort with the next morning.

Come Saturday, all was well. The sun came out, the ground started to dry, and the army was ready. We had a few meetings at headquarters, and the event was ready to roll. The New England Brigade was formed and marched to the parade ground. There, the battalion was formed for dress parade and pass in review for the honors to our fallen brother, Willi Runk. His family was the honored reviewers, and it was indeed a touching moment for us all.

We were formed in line of battle, and marched up to the crest of the hill. It was a wonderful view of the surrounding country and the downtown. We were sent off through the woods to the right, and were to ready ourselves for the attack on the Sunken Road, of Bloddy Lane at Antietam. I had the honor of leading the Connecticut contingent in the role of the Fourteenth Connecticut Volunteers, and we executed our part with all accuracy and respect possible. We attacked towards the Bloody lane, and were pinned in place, and covered the advance ot those to our left. All was well, and the vision was sublime.

We marched back to the camp and enjoyed the public and our families and friends. Saturday evening there was a nice gesture by the organizers that provided welcome refreshments. Once those were gone, we retired back to our camps and our tents for some welceome rest.

Sunday morning brought a massed march back to the top of the hill for a Connecticut ceremony and celebration of 1862 contributions from our troops. There was a long line of reenactors from left ot right, the Governor's Foot Guards, and the Connecticut National Guard. The speeches were appropriate, and several photographers recorded the moment for the state archives.

After the ceremonies, we returned to camp. We were once again formed and marched off to the east, where we resteed a time, as the sun appeared and made a nice warm day for the recreation of the battle of Fredericksburg. Once the time came, we were put into line, left and right wings, and were advance up the hills towards a terrible stone wall. There we attacked an entrenched enemy who were able to deliver upon us a severe fire. The results were horrible, and our ability to even live on the field of fire was near impossible. The Connecticut boys did their best, and were only spared by the end of the battle.

From there, we all breathed a sigh of relief for the 21st century, and marched bakc to camp, sounded the general, and headed off for homes. As soon as many of us got into the wagons, the skies opened once again on us with a vengence. It was truly remarkable that we were blessed with enough sun between coluds to make this event the Connecticut event of the year, and make it a successful event, for all that we have invested in it. Bully the Nutmeg boys !

Your humble servant,

E-Mail Us for More Information!
Eighth Regiment Connecticut Volunteers, Co.A, Inc.

Back to 2012 Archive

BACK to the 8CV Home Page.